Mrs. Fixit:Updating Lighting
January 14,2012 (WPVI) -- Let's face it, lighting can be a big ticket item when you're updating a room. But if you can look beyond the bad finish and ugly shades or globes, you might just realize you have a diamond in the rough.
A friend saw a cool swing out wall lamp in a high end children's catalog for well over fifty dollars - not in her budget. But I found this brass finish lamp at a tag sale for three dollars.
Clean the fixture well and let it dry completely. Then cover both the socket and the cord with aluminum foil.
Then, using a spray paint that will match the décor, carefully spray the entire fixture and allow it to dry.
You may need to add a second coat depending on what you're covering. Once you're happy with the finish, remove the foil and add a new shade and maybe even a pretty tassel of finial. Pretty as a picture for less than ten dollars.
You can do the same thing with ceiling fixtures. Cover the electrical with foil and spray the fixture to match your décor.
Then you can pick up new and updated globes for very little at your local home improvement store.
This whole fixture came in at fifteen dollars - can't beat that can you! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket 39 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos