Mrs. Fixit: Easy energy savers
January 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- If you're looking to save money on your heating and cooling costs? I have some simple solutions that will take less than a day to do and you can watch the savings add up!
Add weatherstripping to doors and windows to eliminate the airflow through the gaps between the door and it's framing.
Also add doorsweeps on all of your doors. Check out this really handy peel and stick sweep i found, no need for tools at all!
Look for areas where there may be gaps ort cracks, especially around pipes. Fill these areas with some steel wool an d then expanding foam insulation.
This is a two fold solution, critters can not chew through the steel wool and the foam will expand to fill the entire area and seal off the gap.
Add insulation. I have open rim joists in my basement. The rim joist is the area above your foundation and under the floor framing.
Simply measure the area that you want to fill and cut a piece off with a straightedge and a sharp utility knife. Then place it in the space. Don't shove it in because you want to maintain some airflow.
Make sure that you wear the proper safety gear when working on these projectors!
It cost me under fifty dollars and less than one day, and I know I'll feel those savings! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple.
mrs. fixit, energy, environment, mrs. fixit
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases