Mrs. Fixit: Care of Upholstry
March 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Love your upholstered furniture? I have some easy ways to care for yours to keep it looking great.
Don't place your furniture in direct sunlight, it will discolor and weaken fabric over time.
Vacuum furniture regularly. Dust and debris can settle in tufts and folds and accumulate over time. Vacuuming ensures that nothing is sitting on the upholstry that could damage it.
If you have furniture in your kitchen or adjacent family area, make sure that you use your exhaust fan every time you cook.
Cooking can release grease and food particles into the air that can settle on the upholstry and then attract dust and dirt that will damage the fabric.
The fan will also help remove cooking odors from the air before they can seep into the fabrics.
Diapers make great spot treaters for upholstry, they won't transfer color and they have no texture so they won't pill the fabric while you're treating. Just remember, always dab, never scrub!!
Now that you know how to care for it, settle back and enjoy your furniture! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 6 min ago
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike 39 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber