Mrs. Fixit: Mail Center
March 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Looking for a mail center for your home? All you need is an old window shutter and some simple hardware.
First, clean up the shutter, a toothbrush or some cotton swabs will really help you reach into the nooks and crannies.
Depending upon the look you like you can either remove the hardware, fill any holes left behind and paint or refinish the shutter, or leave the hardware in place so that the shutter retains it's past history and finish.
From here you can be as simple or as fancy as you want, you can add embellishments for decoration, hooks or knobs for keys, or labels for different family members.
Then decide which way you want it to hang, vertically or horizontally - it depends on your space.
Add a hanger or two to the back, depending on the size and weight of your shutter, you may need to screw it directly into the wall. Mine is really lightweight so one simple hanger will do the trick.
That's all there is to it, this also makes a great spot for displaying cards or pictures. Try it for yourself, I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple.
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 53 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos