Mrs. Fixit: Drawer Organizer
April 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- A drawer organizer is a great way to organize your drawers, but finding one that fits can be difficult.
I'll show you how to make a custom organizer that will maximize your drawer's storage.
First, measure your drawer's depth, width, and height to determine what size lumber you'll need. I'm using a 1x3 select pine for my insert.
I want a space in the front as well as slots for different sized utensils. I need two pieces of wood, the same width as the drawers and three pieces about two-thirds the depth of the drawer. You can adjust these measurements to fit your needs.
Once all of the pieces are cut, sand any rough edges and wipe off any excess dust.
Dry fit the pieces to be sure they fit together the way that you want. You can use some chalk to mark the locations of your joints and remove the pieces from the drawer.
Once the pieces are removed, use wood glue and screws to connect them. I am using two screws for each joint to make sure that they hold securely.
If you want - a coat of poly will help protect the wood once it's in place.
Now you're all set with more space and more organization.
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested 41 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?