Mrs. Fixit: Drawer Organizer
April 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- A drawer organizer is a great way to organize your drawers, but finding one that fits can be difficult.
I'll show you how to make a custom organizer that will maximize your drawer's storage.
First, measure your drawer's depth, width, and height to determine what size lumber you'll need. I'm using a 1x3 select pine for my insert.
I want a space in the front as well as slots for different sized utensils. I need two pieces of wood, the same width as the drawers and three pieces about two-thirds the depth of the drawer. You can adjust these measurements to fit your needs.
Once all of the pieces are cut, sand any rough edges and wipe off any excess dust.
Dry fit the pieces to be sure they fit together the way that you want. You can use some chalk to mark the locations of your joints and remove the pieces from the drawer.
Once the pieces are removed, use wood glue and screws to connect them. I am using two screws for each joint to make sure that they hold securely.
If you want - a coat of poly will help protect the wood once it's in place.
Now you're all set with more space and more organization.
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity 57 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons 5 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ