Mrs. Fixit: Scrappy Wall Sconce
April 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- If you're like me you have piles of wood from past projects just waiting for a new life, I have a really simple wall sconce you can make with some scrap wood! I'll show you how.
In order to hold a candle or other decoration you're going to want your sconce to be at least four inches wide - I am using a scrap of one by six here.
You need two pieces from that 1x6, I am cutting mine to a five inch piece and a twenty inch piece, you can adjust these measurements to fit your space, this is just a guideline.
Sand away any rough of jagged edges. The finish does not have to be perfect since it's a shabby cottage finish that I'm going for.
Attach the five inch piece about five inches up from the bottom of the sconce. You can use nails, screws or some epoxy to secure the "shelf" to the front of the sconce.
From here you will want to finish the sconce. I just want to paint it out, but you could paint, stain or even decoupage the sconce to match your home décor.
To dress up the sconce you can add knobs, finials or other embellishments to dress it up. I love these little knobs but you could add whatever you like to make it your own.
A great little wall sconce from reclaimed wood - can you believe it? I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 49 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 30 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
49 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos