Mrs. Fixit: Cleaning Jewelry
May 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Don't run out and but a fancy jewelry cleaner, you can keep your jewelry looking great by raiding the cupboards at home! I'll tell you more.
Try toothpaste. Keep a toothbrush specifically for cleaning jewelry and just put some toothpaste and a little warm water on the bristles and scrub.
From silver and gold to rubies and emeralds, toothpaste cleans it all. Just follow up with a warm water rinse when you're done to remove the toothpaste residue!
Did you ever see the movie about the big wedding that says window cleaner can solve any problem? It's true for your jewelry. Spritz a little window cleaner on silver and gold and hard crystal stones like diamonds and rubies. The ammonia in the cleaner leaves behind a brilliant shine.
Be careful not to use ammonia based cleaners on natural or opaque stones like opals, turquoise and pearls. It can damage the stones.
I've also had great success with the foaming action you get when you mix baking soda and white vinegar. The reaction of the two elements gets into the crevices and settings of your jewelry and leave behind an amazing shine!
Rinse well to remove any baking soda residue and dry with a soft cloth!
Easy ways to clean your jewelry with items you already have on hand!
I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple.
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Caskets, headstones unearthed at Philly school 2 min ago
- Temps soar above normal 48 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights 17 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape 1 min ago
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in local scam
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up...
1 min ago