Mrs. Fixit: Cleaning Jewelry
May 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Don't run out and but a fancy jewelry cleaner, you can keep your jewelry looking great by raiding the cupboards at home! I'll tell you more.
Try toothpaste. Keep a toothbrush specifically for cleaning jewelry and just put some toothpaste and a little warm water on the bristles and scrub.
From silver and gold to rubies and emeralds, toothpaste cleans it all. Just follow up with a warm water rinse when you're done to remove the toothpaste residue!
Did you ever see the movie about the big wedding that says window cleaner can solve any problem? It's true for your jewelry. Spritz a little window cleaner on silver and gold and hard crystal stones like diamonds and rubies. The ammonia in the cleaner leaves behind a brilliant shine.
Be careful not to use ammonia based cleaners on natural or opaque stones like opals, turquoise and pearls. It can damage the stones.
I've also had great success with the foaming action you get when you mix baking soda and white vinegar. The reaction of the two elements gets into the crevices and settings of your jewelry and leave behind an amazing shine!
Rinse well to remove any baking soda residue and dry with a soft cloth!
Easy ways to clean your jewelry with items you already have on hand!
I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple.
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd 16 min ago
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery 1 min ago
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
16 min ago
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
1 min ago