Mrs. Fixit: Concrete Pavers
May 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Concrete pavers are a great choice for a walkway or patio. They need little maintenance and with the proper care will last and last. I have some tips!
Whether you're hiring the job out or taking it on yourself make sure to use polymeric sand rather than a loose aggregate to fill between your stones.
The polymeric acts more like a mortar. it is brushed between the pavers to set them once they're in place and then misted with water. The polymers in the sand harden to prevent washout, anthills and weed growth.
An aggregate will eventually migrate out of the joints and cannot prevent pests or weeds from infiltrating. So while concrete and stone have salts in them. Moisture can cause these salts to rise to the surface causing a phenomenon called efflorescence which appears as a white haze on the stone.
You can buy chemical cleaners to remove it, but I recommend a stiff bristled nylon brush and some hot soapy water.
Another option is to seal the stone after it has had time to acclimate to it's new home. There are lots of sealer out there from those that you won't notice to others that enhance the color and give you a permanent wet look.
These sealers can be applied with a foam roller and will allow you to remove stains and spills more easily as well as to protect the stone.
A tip - if you live in a cold weather climate - make sure you choose a calcium chloride product rather than rock salt to remove ice - it won't damage the stone like the salt can.
I'm Mrs. FIXIT and it's just that simple!!!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina 22 min ago
- Spotty, but drenching showers this afternoon, a t'storm also possible 38 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Bus co. mistake cancels kids' DC field trip 22 min ago
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa. 27 min ago
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping 3 min ago
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings 2 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment 19 min ago
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
27 min ago
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping
3 min ago
- Bus co. mistake cancels kids' DC field trip
22 min ago
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
2 min ago