Mrs. Fixit: Paper Towel Stand
July 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- I reuse these decorative cheese domes that I pick up at tag sales and flea markets all the time, but I never use the bases - I have a fun way to put the base to good use I'm going to turn it into a paper towel stand by adding a couple of extra elements.
I am using a base and a one inch dowel cut slightly longer than the height of a roll of paper towels. Lightly sand and paint the two elements to match your kitchen.
Once the piece is dry, flip it over and drill a hole through the base so that you can place a screw up through the bottom to secure the dowel in place.
Put the screw in place and twist the dowel onto the screw. Most wood dowels are made of softer wood so you should be able to easily secure it to the base.
When the two pieces are together you can find a fun knob or finial to twist onto the top to finish out the top and add a decorative element to the piece.
I love the way this looks and it cost next to nothing to make! Try it for yourself. I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 56 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
56 min ago
- Skydiver gets tangled with landing plane
43 min ago
- Student meets bone marrow recipient for...
40 min ago