Mrs. Fixit: Homemade Insect Repellant
July 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- You know that you can pick up chemical bug repellents at any store, but if you would prefer a natural alternative i have a quick recipe and all you need is three simple ingredients.
Grab a spray bottle, some witch hazel and some dried catnip which you can pick up at your local pet store for just a few dollars.
Steep a half a cup of catnip in a half a cup of boiling water for about fifteen minutes.
Strain out the catnip leaves and then pour your catnip tea and a half a cup of witch hazel into your spray bottle.
Catnip oil has been found to be as effective as DEET in repelling mosquitoes.
Mix if you can't find dried catnip, you can mix a half a cup of water, a half cup of witch hazel and twenty five to fifty drops of rosemary oil, lavendar oil or lemongrass oil which are all known to repel mosquitoes.
If you don't have any essential oils on hand and are heading outside you can use some pure vanilla extract as a quick repellent, just don't count on it for long term exposure.
Just a couple of easy natural alternatives to chemical mosquito repellents! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple.
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- DA's office: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 28 min ago
- Record Warmth! 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Several cars vandalized in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard 53 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua 16 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Record Warmth!
14 min ago