Mrs. Fixit: Homemade Insect Repellant
July 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- You know that you can pick up chemical bug repellents at any store, but if you would prefer a natural alternative i have a quick recipe and all you need is three simple ingredients.
Grab a spray bottle, some witch hazel and some dried catnip which you can pick up at your local pet store for just a few dollars.
Steep a half a cup of catnip in a half a cup of boiling water for about fifteen minutes.
Strain out the catnip leaves and then pour your catnip tea and a half a cup of witch hazel into your spray bottle.
Catnip oil has been found to be as effective as DEET in repelling mosquitoes.
Mix if you can't find dried catnip, you can mix a half a cup of water, a half cup of witch hazel and twenty five to fifty drops of rosemary oil, lavendar oil or lemongrass oil which are all known to repel mosquitoes.
If you don't have any essential oils on hand and are heading outside you can use some pure vanilla extract as a quick repellent, just don't count on it for long term exposure.
Just a couple of easy natural alternatives to chemical mosquito repellents! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple.
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Fmr. Chester Co. teacher faces child porn charges 18 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 9 min ago
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 34 min ago
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect 23 min ago
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos