Mrs. Fixit: Antique Letter Signs
August 04, 2012 (WPVI) -- I love the look of antique signs, but they can be really pricey, I'll show you how to make your own for a fraction of the cost.
I'm going to do a small sign so all I need is a scrap of wood with a nice flat surface that I can paint my letters onto.
Sand the surface of the wood and give it a base coat in a flat color with acrylic craft paint and then let it dry completely.
While it's drying turn to your computer, you want to print a page with the lettering just the way you want it, I recommend using simple fonts until you're comfortable with painting letters.
Once you're happy with the message, print it out.
Now scribble with chalk onto the back side of your paper where the lettering is, once you've the chalk done, place the paper down on the scrap wood and tape it in place.
Carefully trace out your letters with a pencil. This will transfer the chalk to the surface.
Now remove the paper and using a steady hand, paint out the lettering using the chalk outlines as a guide, try not to load up your brush with too much paint. let the letters dry.
Once it's completely finished, go over the surface of the entire sign with some superfine steel wool to even out the surface of the paint and give it a nice antiqued look. I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 16 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 16 min ago
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing 16 min ago
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 8 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital 16 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- 10 more bodies found inside South Korean ferry 6 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
16 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
16 min ago
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
16 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody!
8 min ago