Mrs. Fixit: Antique Letter Signs
August 04, 2012 (WPVI) -- I love the look of antique signs, but they can be really pricey, I'll show you how to make your own for a fraction of the cost.
I'm going to do a small sign so all I need is a scrap of wood with a nice flat surface that I can paint my letters onto.
Sand the surface of the wood and give it a base coat in a flat color with acrylic craft paint and then let it dry completely.
While it's drying turn to your computer, you want to print a page with the lettering just the way you want it, I recommend using simple fonts until you're comfortable with painting letters.
Once you're happy with the message, print it out.
Now scribble with chalk onto the back side of your paper where the lettering is, once you've the chalk done, place the paper down on the scrap wood and tape it in place.
Carefully trace out your letters with a pencil. This will transfer the chalk to the surface.
Now remove the paper and using a steady hand, paint out the lettering using the chalk outlines as a guide, try not to load up your brush with too much paint. let the letters dry.
Once it's completely finished, go over the surface of the entire sign with some superfine steel wool to even out the surface of the paint and give it a nice antiqued look. I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado 1 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom 19 min ago
- 25-year-old man shot dead in North Philadelphia 12 min ago
- Teen shot multiple times in Feltonville 11 min ago
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Pa. primary will settle municipal, judicial, races 3 min ago
- NJ ex-priest arrested after working with kids 28 min ago
- Camera captures man stealing tractor 28 min ago
- Center City high rise evacuated due to small fire 9 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
1 min ago
- Center City high rise evacuated due to...
9 min ago