Mrs. Fixit: Building Shadow Boxes
August 12, 20120 (WPVI) -- If you love the look of shadow boxes, I can show you how to make your own with some recycled picture frames and some one by threes.
You want to hide your shadow box elements behind a standard frame so the first step is to measure the back of the frame you want to use.
To make the box you need to cut four pieces of the one by three wood. Two pieces the same size as two of the sides and two the size of the other sides minus the thickness of the wood you're using.
I painted the wood out to match the frame ahead of time so that I just need to touch up the cuts later on, much easier than painting the assembled box.
Assemble the box with simple butt joints and nails. I'm using two nails at each corner for stability.
Once the box is assembled, use wood glue to attach the frame to the box and let it dry completely.
Once the glue has dried, touch up the paint and let it dry.
As for the backing, I like foam core. Cut a piece to fit snugly into the back of the frame. You can cover the board with fabric or some pretty paper.
Now all that's left to do is add the handbag to the frame! I love how this turned out! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple.
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 53 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911 9 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
53 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
39 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos