Mrs. Fixit: Building Shadow Boxes
August 12, 20120 (WPVI) -- If you love the look of shadow boxes, I can show you how to make your own with some recycled picture frames and some one by threes.
You want to hide your shadow box elements behind a standard frame so the first step is to measure the back of the frame you want to use.
To make the box you need to cut four pieces of the one by three wood. Two pieces the same size as two of the sides and two the size of the other sides minus the thickness of the wood you're using.
I painted the wood out to match the frame ahead of time so that I just need to touch up the cuts later on, much easier than painting the assembled box.
Assemble the box with simple butt joints and nails. I'm using two nails at each corner for stability.
Once the box is assembled, use wood glue to attach the frame to the box and let it dry completely.
Once the glue has dried, touch up the paint and let it dry.
As for the backing, I like foam core. Cut a piece to fit snugly into the back of the frame. You can cover the board with fabric or some pretty paper.
Now all that's left to do is add the handbag to the frame! I love how this turned out! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple.
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- 3 children rescued from Southwest Phila. house fire
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt.
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos