Mrs. Fixit: Colander Herb Garden
September 01, 2012 (WPVI) -- I wanted a fresh herb garden, but I didn't want multiple pots, and then it hit me - a metal kitchen colander would make the perfect vessel for kitchen herbs.
The first step of this project is to line the inside of the colander with a couple of layers of landscaping fabric.
This will do a couple of things for you, it will keep the soil from falling out of the holes and it will slow the water drainage so that the plants have a chance to absorb their nutrients.
Decide what plants you want in your garden, look for plants that need the same water and light so they will grow well together, I have chosen basil, parsley and oregano.
Put a little soil in the bottom of the colander and then put your plants into place. Fill in the areas around the plants with more potting mix.
If you're planning on keeping this planter in the kitchen, I would water it in the sink at night and let excess drain out overnight, it should be fine to put back in place by morning!
An easy recycle and great herb garden! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 6 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
35 min ago