Mrs. Fixit: Colander Herb Garden
September 01, 2012 (WPVI) -- I wanted a fresh herb garden, but I didn't want multiple pots, and then it hit me - a metal kitchen colander would make the perfect vessel for kitchen herbs.
The first step of this project is to line the inside of the colander with a couple of layers of landscaping fabric.
This will do a couple of things for you, it will keep the soil from falling out of the holes and it will slow the water drainage so that the plants have a chance to absorb their nutrients.
Decide what plants you want in your garden, look for plants that need the same water and light so they will grow well together, I have chosen basil, parsley and oregano.
Put a little soil in the bottom of the colander and then put your plants into place. Fill in the areas around the plants with more potting mix.
If you're planning on keeping this planter in the kitchen, I would water it in the sink at night and let excess drain out overnight, it should be fine to put back in place by morning!
An easy recycle and great herb garden! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expressway crash 4 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep