Mrs. Fixit: Colander Herb Garden
September 01, 2012 (WPVI) -- I wanted a fresh herb garden, but I didn't want multiple pots, and then it hit me - a metal kitchen colander would make the perfect vessel for kitchen herbs.
The first step of this project is to line the inside of the colander with a couple of layers of landscaping fabric.
This will do a couple of things for you, it will keep the soil from falling out of the holes and it will slow the water drainage so that the plants have a chance to absorb their nutrients.
Decide what plants you want in your garden, look for plants that need the same water and light so they will grow well together, I have chosen basil, parsley and oregano.
Put a little soil in the bottom of the colander and then put your plants into place. Fill in the areas around the plants with more potting mix.
If you're planning on keeping this planter in the kitchen, I would water it in the sink at night and let excess drain out overnight, it should be fine to put back in place by morning!
An easy recycle and great herb garden! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 31 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 8 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 15 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 4 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
4 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
10 min ago