Mrs. Fixit: Lampshade Mobile
September 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Looking beyond function to form I am going to turn this ratty old lampshade into an adorable mobile for a kid's room!
The first step is to remove all of the old fabric and trim from the shade so that you're left with the wire frame.
Once you're down to the bare bones you can either wrap the frame in ribbon, decoupage it with decorative paper or spray paint it to coordinate with the room.
Once you've got the frame set, you just need to decide what to display on it. You could use paper or picture cut outs, beads, small toys or anything else that strikes you!
If you don't want anything dangling down, attach pictures directly to the frame with some clothespins or other decorative clips.
I mounted these pictures to some cardstock so that they keep their shape and don't curl at the edges.
All that's left to do is hang it up! Keep in mind if you're using this in a baby's room you should keep it well out of the reach of the baby and make sure that all of the items are securely attached!
A great new use for something that was headed for the trash! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple.
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 16 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 9 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 23 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs 53 min ago
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
23 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
53 min ago