Mrs. Fixit: Pillowcase Backpack
February 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- If you love the drawstring backpacks that are on the market today, try making your own with a pillowcase and some ribbon.
To start, choose a pillowcase that has a channel at the top, this will be the pocket for your drawstring. You will also want to choose a sturdy ribbon like this grosgrain that won't fray or tear.
Use a hot iron to press the pillowcase and ribbon so it's nice and flat.
Using a small sharp pair of scissors, cut a slit in the outside layer of each side of the pillowcase channel on both the front and the back. As well as the bottom two corners right on the side seams.
Attach a safety pin to one end of your grosgrain and thread it through the channel.
When there is enough ribbon through the channel to make both the drawstring and one handle, cut it off and carefully pin the end in the channel to hold it while you repeat the process on the other side.
On the flip side start your channel so your handle will end up on the opposite side from the first.
When both sides are finished, slip the ends of your ribbon into the slits on the bottom corners and pin them in place.
Now either hand or machine stitch your bottom corners in place as well as the one side of each of the upper channels.
That's all there is to a cute pillowcase backpack! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 54 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 31 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 23 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 27 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 16 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
18 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
36 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
33 min ago