Mrs. Fixit: Distress Paint
March 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Distressing paint can be tricky - you take off too much, you take off too little, you don't hit the right spots. Well I have a foolproof solution - vaseline!! I'll show you.
Paint a base coat on the piece, and let it dry completely.
Using your finger and a dry cloth, spread the vaseline out over the edges and corners of your project. Leave it thicker in some places and smear it out in others.
Next, paint a second coat of paint over the first and let it dry completely.
Your first color will peek through the second so make sure the colors are complementary.
Once your paint has dried it's time to distress.
Use some quadruple zero steel wool to scuff through the top layer of paint and to wipe away the excess petroleum jelly.
When you think that you have it just right, use a damp cloth to wipe the entire piece to be sure all of the petroleum jelly is gone.
Easy distressing with wear just where you need it! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos