Mrs. Fixit: Expanding Spray Foam Insulation
April 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Expanding spray foam in a can is a great tool for sealing leaks around the house, but it has some other uses you may not have though about!
Use expanding foam to protect your home from critters. If you see a point where mice or other small animals might try to enter your home, stuff the hole with some steel wool and then follow that up with some foam insulation to seal the hole.
If you need to mail something fragile, spray the foam into a plastic zip top bag and seal the top. Place the bag into your shipping box and press the fragile item into the foam filled bag.
Repeat for the top of the item. As the foam dries in the bags it will create a custom foam case to protect your item.
Make a fake rock for landscaping, a holiday display, or hobby set.
Lay a piece of cardboard on your work surface and pull on some plastic gloves. Spray the foam onto the cardboard to create your rock, keep in mind the foam will double in size.
Use your hands and a disposable tool like a stick or a plastic knife to mold your foam into a rock shape and then let it dry completely.
Once it's dry you can use a utility knife to carve it further. Once you're happy with your rock, paint it with some acrylic paint to finish it off.
Who knew spray foam could be so versatile. I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, mrs. fixit
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police