Mrs. Fixit: Cleaning grout
July 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- One of the most common questions I get is how to clean grout.
Well, it may seem impossible at times, but with the right solution, it's a breeze.
An easy, inexpensive and non-toxic homemade solution is to mix a ¼ of a cup of vinegar, with a 1/3rd cup of lemon juice, and ½ cup of baking soda into about two quarts of water.
Apply the solution using an electric toothbrush as a grout scrubber. If you don't have one, you can always use a old regular toothbrush.
Another non-toxic grout and tile cleaner that does the trick is to mix a solution of warm water with any high quality oxygen bleach.
Let it sit for a good half hour or so and then scrub the area well. Then just rinse it with some clean water.
If you have marble, limestone or travertine tiles don't use any of these mixtures and don't use any mixture that's acidic.
A mild grout cleaner that can be used on all tile, grout, and natural stone is to mix a paste of three parts baking soda to one part water. Let it sit on the area for about 10 minutes before scrubbing and then wipe the floor clean with a damp cloth.
Now you know how to keep your grout clean with green solutions!
mrs. fixit, lifestyle, mrs. fixit
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 37 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, traps parents in room 23 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
37 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos