Mrs. Fixit: Hand Saws
July 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- There are so many handsaws on the market...but which one is best? Well.. it all depends on what you're cutting.
A crosscut saw...cuts across the grain and has small teeth close together to provide a smooth cut in wood. The teeth slice thru the wood like a knife-edge... as opposed to a rip saw ...which tears along the grain... with a mini chisel.
The teeth on a ripsaw are wider set than a crosscut saw so the final cut is rough and usually needs to be sanded.
A backsaw is used in a miter box...it's shorter stiffer blade has closer spaced teeth like a crosscut saw. This saw is used for making angle cuts and for trim molding.
A keyhole saw has a 10-12 inch tapered blade. It's used to cut openings for pipes, electrical boxes...or anything that's too large for a drill bit or hole saw.
You can buy various blades for cutting everything from wood and plastic to metal and hardboard.
A coping saw has a thin blade secured with two pins at both ends. A variety of blades are also available and it's used to cut intricate shapes and cutouts.
A hacksaw is a fine tooth saw with a blade held under tension in a frame and usually has a pistol grip. It's used to cut metal or plastic. Mounting the blade for cutting on the pull stroke will give you greater control of the cut and a blade should last longer.
How you 'saw' how easy it was.. I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, lifestyle, mrs. fixit
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 28 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep 45 min ago
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash