Mr. Food: Country Store Hermit Bars
February 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Chewy, sweet, and wholesome, our homemade Country Store Hermit Bars make for a super-satisfying snack.
Packing the old-time taste of a "Mom and Pop" country store, they bake up in a snap without leaving home.
Makes: 24 bars
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup cold water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 10- x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Blend in eggs.
On low speed, beat in water, then baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Gradually mix in flour, about a third at a time. Stir in remaining ingredients. Place batter in prepared baking sheet.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until firm. Remove pan to a wire rack to cool. When cool, cut into bars.
For options? Feel free to add in some some chopped dates or cherries in place of the raisins or dried cranberries.
And how about a nice, cold glass of lemonade to wash down our cookies?
mr. food, food, mr. food
- Snow today, heavy at times 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in E. Norriton
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
- Video: Katherine Scott on snow in Delaware
- 2 corrections officers hurt in Concord Twp. crash 59 min ago
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Snow today, heavy at times
45 min ago