Mr. Food: Country Store Hermit Bars
February 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Chewy, sweet, and wholesome, our homemade Country Store Hermit Bars make for a super-satisfying snack.
Packing the old-time taste of a "Mom and Pop" country store, they bake up in a snap without leaving home.
Makes: 24 bars
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup cold water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 10- x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Blend in eggs.
On low speed, beat in water, then baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Gradually mix in flour, about a third at a time. Stir in remaining ingredients. Place batter in prepared baking sheet.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until firm. Remove pan to a wire rack to cool. When cool, cut into bars.
For options? Feel free to add in some some chopped dates or cherries in place of the raisins or dried cranberries.
And how about a nice, cold glass of lemonade to wash down our cookies?
mr. food, food, mr. food
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ