Mr. Food: Country Store Hermit Bars
February 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Chewy, sweet, and wholesome, our homemade Country Store Hermit Bars make for a super-satisfying snack.
Packing the old-time taste of a "Mom and Pop" country store, they bake up in a snap without leaving home.
Makes: 24 bars
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup cold water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 10- x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Blend in eggs.
On low speed, beat in water, then baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Gradually mix in flour, about a third at a time. Stir in remaining ingredients. Place batter in prepared baking sheet.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until firm. Remove pan to a wire rack to cool. When cool, cut into bars.
For options? Feel free to add in some some chopped dates or cherries in place of the raisins or dried cranberries.
And how about a nice, cold glass of lemonade to wash down our cookies?
mr. food, food, mr. food
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins
- Video: Philly's new skateboard park opens
- Kellie Pickler named new DWTS champ