Mr. Food: Fruit Pockets, Sandwich Cookies
April 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Mr. Food tackles two more popular products - toaster pastries and homemade chocolate cookie sandwiches.
Makes: 12 pastries
Cooking Time: 7 min
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Unroll one pie crust and using a knife, square the edges. Cut into 12 rectangles 2 inches wide by 3 inches long. Place a teaspoon of preserves in center of 6 rectangles and top with remaining rectangles. Using a fork, crimp edges and place on baking sheet. Unroll second pie crust and repeat process.
3. Bake 7 to 9 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk, until consistency is like thick syrup. Spoon glaze slowly over fruit pockets and sprinkle with decorative sugar, if desired. Let harden, then serve.
For an added bonus we just know you'll also want to try the recipe for Homemade Chocolate Sandwich Cookies. You might even think they are better than the original!
Yields: 24 cookies
Cooking Time: 10 min
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, make chocolate wafers by mixing toogether flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Beat in 1/2 cup butter and egg until dough comes together. Drop 48 rounded teaspoons of dough onto baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Slightly flatten dough with fingers.
3. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until cookies look set. Let cool.
4. In a medium bowl, make cream filling by combining 1/4 cup butter and shortening. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until filling is fluffy. Place a teaspoon of filling onto center of one chocolate wafer and lightly press another chocolate wafer on top until cream comes to edge. Repeat with remaining wafers.
5. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
mr. food, food, mr. food
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Computer outage delays travelers at Phila. Airport 25 min ago
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify 6 min ago
- Wilmington boy reported missing found safe 37 min ago
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Public hearing underway on city demo procedures 14 min ago
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- FBI hunt for ex-Teamster boss Hoffa's remains ends
- Rollings Stones review: How old is too old? 16 min ago