Mr Food: Sweet and Spicy Pickles
July 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- In a pickle for what to do with all the in season bargain cukes you've picked up at the market or farm stand? We have the easy solution with our Test Kitchen's recipe for Sweet and Spicy Pickles. Nothing beats the taste or the raves from our own homemade pickle chips!
Makes: 8 cups
Cooking Time: 25 min
1. In a large saucepan over high heat, combine vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, and jalapeno pepper . Bring to a boil and add cucumber slices; return to a boil and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool 15 to 20 minutes, or until lukewarm. Place in an airtight glass or plastic container and chill until ready to serve.
We like to use small Kirby cucumbers, but any type of cucumbers work here. And, for really crisp pickles, instead of cooking the cucumbers, just pour the cooked pickling mixture over the cucumber slices in a large heat-proof bowl. Allow to cool slightly, then cover and chill overnight. These should keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
mr. food, food, mr. food
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ