Mr Food: Sweet and Spicy Pickles
July 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- In a pickle for what to do with all the in season bargain cukes you've picked up at the market or farm stand? We have the easy solution with our Test Kitchen's recipe for Sweet and Spicy Pickles. Nothing beats the taste or the raves from our own homemade pickle chips!
Makes: 8 cups
Cooking Time: 25 min
1. In a large saucepan over high heat, combine vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, and jalapeno pepper . Bring to a boil and add cucumber slices; return to a boil and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool 15 to 20 minutes, or until lukewarm. Place in an airtight glass or plastic container and chill until ready to serve.
We like to use small Kirby cucumbers, but any type of cucumbers work here. And, for really crisp pickles, instead of cooking the cucumbers, just pour the cooked pickling mixture over the cucumber slices in a large heat-proof bowl. Allow to cool slightly, then cover and chill overnight. These should keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
mr. food, food, mr. food
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Suspect sought after West Philadelphia bank robbery
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos