Mr Food: Sweet and Spicy Pickles
July 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- In a pickle for what to do with all the in season bargain cukes you've picked up at the market or farm stand? We have the easy solution with our Test Kitchen's recipe for Sweet and Spicy Pickles. Nothing beats the taste or the raves from our own homemade pickle chips!
Makes: 8 cups
Cooking Time: 25 min
1. In a large saucepan over high heat, combine vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, and jalapeno pepper . Bring to a boil and add cucumber slices; return to a boil and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool 15 to 20 minutes, or until lukewarm. Place in an airtight glass or plastic container and chill until ready to serve.
We like to use small Kirby cucumbers, but any type of cucumbers work here. And, for really crisp pickles, instead of cooking the cucumbers, just pour the cooked pickling mixture over the cucumber slices in a large heat-proof bowl. Allow to cool slightly, then cover and chill overnight. These should keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
mr. food, food, mr. food
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Video: Train nearly hits senator