Drexel dorm goes green
UNIVERSITY CITY - September 16, 2009 (WPVI) -- Dorm living at Drexel University has gone green.
Nearly 500 Drexel University students moved into Millennium Hall today.
The newest building on campus is also the first residence hall where the kids got make some of the decisions.
"We gathered a student committee, right from the beginning, before the architects and we asked, 'what is it you would like to see?'" Rita LaRue Gollotti of Drexel Business Services said.
The students had a lot of answers such as study lounges at each end of the floor and more privacy in the bathroom.
"They offer a lot more privacy and it's a very unique setup and I think it's going to make for a unique community on the floors," Drexel junior Vince Petaccio said.
"I was inside, my room's great, it's definitely a step up from other dorms I've lived in," sophomore Jack Eller said.
The building of Millennium Hall signifies a big shift in the way Drexel builds its dorm rooms.
The focus is on energy efficiency and the kids love it.
Every aspect of this building, from the windows to the lighting, even the toilets are environmentally friendly, making this Drexel's first certified green dorm.
Drexel has more green certified construction in the works on campus and the students say this green direction is the right way to go.
"It's Millennium Hall and it's the new millennium. We're getting more environmentally friendly and helping the earth," sophomore Kelsey Martin said.
green, erica grow
- Deadly hit and run suspect van caught on camera 1 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Fairy Godmothers make prom dreams come true
37 min ago