Major project on Northeast Extension set to launch
BLUE BELL, Pa. - March 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- Drivers will face a bit of a squeeze during the multi-million dollar expansion of one of Pa.'s busiest roads.
With 65,000 vehicles roaring along the stretch of highway, it is the busiest stretch of 4-lane road on the Pennsylvania Turnpike's system.
Friday, officials held a ceremonial groundbreaking for the widening of the highway from 4 to 6 lanes between the Mid-County interchange and the Lansdale interchange.
Most nights during the project, officials say drivers should expect only 1 lane of traffic. Backups are likely. During the day all four lanes of the highway will be opened, however there won't be any shoulder along the 6-mile stretch heading north from the Mid-County interchange.
"It will be two 12-foot lanes, which is what it is now," said Richard Cochrane who is the expansion project's manager. "However, there will be a barrier along the right shoulder that motorists will notice. So, there's less room for error."
The cost of the first part of the project, 6 miles worth of highway, is just over $150 million.
"That's $25 million a mile," said Frank Kempf, chief engineer for the project. "It was a time, in the not too-distant past, when you could build a brand new road for a million dollars a mile."
The project gets underway Monday night.
pa turnpike, pennsylvania, montgomery county, traffic, john rawlins
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 35 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 53 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden 12 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School 36 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
39 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos