Major project on Northeast Extension set to launch
BLUE BELL, Pa. - March 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- Drivers will face a bit of a squeeze during the multi-million dollar expansion of one of Pa.'s busiest roads.
With 65,000 vehicles roaring along the stretch of highway, it is the busiest stretch of 4-lane road on the Pennsylvania Turnpike's system.
Friday, officials held a ceremonial groundbreaking for the widening of the highway from 4 to 6 lanes between the Mid-County interchange and the Lansdale interchange.
Most nights during the project, officials say drivers should expect only 1 lane of traffic. Backups are likely. During the day all four lanes of the highway will be opened, however there won't be any shoulder along the 6-mile stretch heading north from the Mid-County interchange.
"It will be two 12-foot lanes, which is what it is now," said Richard Cochrane who is the expansion project's manager. "However, there will be a barrier along the right shoulder that motorists will notice. So, there's less room for error."
The cost of the first part of the project, 6 miles worth of highway, is just over $150 million.
"That's $25 million a mile," said Frank Kempf, chief engineer for the project. "It was a time, in the not too-distant past, when you could build a brand new road for a million dollars a mile."
The project gets underway Monday night.
pa turnpike, pennsylvania, montgomery county, traffic, john rawlins
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ 39 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes 39 min ago
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps 26 min ago
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush 50 min ago
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers 54 min ago
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
39 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa....
39 min ago
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
28 min ago
- Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
50 min ago