Police: Trucker in 422 crash was choking on apple
READING, Pa. - March 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania trucker may have saved his own life with an unintentional and very elaborate Heimlich maneuver.
Police say 55-year-old Richard Paylor, of Fairless Hills, Bucks County, was eating an apple as he drove on Route 422 Reading when he began choking Tuesday morning.
Authorities say Paylor then lost consciousness and crashed through a concrete median.
Investigators tell Action News they believe the apple was dislodged when Paylor smacked his chest against the steering wheel.
Police recovered a chunk of apple from the dashboard.
Investigators spoke with doctors who backed up their conclusion that the accident dislodged the offending fruit.
Paylor was treated and released yesterday from the hospital.
pennsylvania, berks county, accident, traffic
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philly
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos