Feeding vultures stop traffic on Schuylkill Expressway
GLADWYNE - April 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- Traffic backups along the Schuylkill Expressway are nothing new, but the jam on Thursday morning was quite strange.
Dozens of vultures landed on the side of the highway to feed on a dead deer.
It was a sight that stopped traffic.
"A bunch of birds, I guess they were vultures, they were feeding on something on the side of the road," said Shannon Maude of Conshohocken.
When the Action Cam arrived on the ground, they were still there - we counted 20 of the birds.
"They were just all over on the trees, all around, but I didn't see the deer," said Arlisa Randleman of Pottstown. "I was wondering why they were there."
People on social media contacted us saying: 'Hey, a deer carcass is backing things up!'
'Jennifer' posted on my twitter feed: "Want to talk stupid traffic delays? Vultures eating a deer carcass on I-76!"
Shannon McDonald posted on the Action News Facebook page: "It was disgusting, and made me late to work."
PennDOT removed the carcass on Thursday afternoon so that any future delays on the Schuylkill can't be blamed on the food chain.
montgomery county, pennsylvania, travel, traffic
- Ocean County forest fire fully contained
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of New Jersey forest fires
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze 12 min ago
- Warning about dating apps after violent crimes
- Eye doctor, daughter post bail after pot bust
- Wedding crashers apologize to bride
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- 1 dead after motorcycle, vehicle collide in Wilmington
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening
38 min ago