Child critical after being struck on Roosevelt Blvd.
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - April 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- A child was rushed to the hospital on Thursday morning after being hit by a car on the Roosevelt Boulevard in Northeast Philadelphia.
It happened just after 8:00 a.m. in the northbound lanes near Whittaker Avenue.
Police say the child, 7-year-old Jeff Bienamie, missed the school bus this morning, and was running to the nearby Creighton Elementary School when he was hit.<p A witness tells Action News that the child, a first-grader, was struck by a Kia SUV while crossing against the light.
Bienamie was last reported in critical condition at St. Christopher's Hospital. Police say the child missed the school bus this morning, and was running to school when he was hit.
The driver stopped at the scene, police said, and was allowed to leave with no charges being filed so far.
James Fulmore was three cars behind the Kia when the accident happened.
"The lady tried to stop, but she couldn't. He just ran, and the light was green," Fulmore said.
Police say Bienamie was crossing the street with two other boys, who made it across without being hurt.
Investigators tell Action News that, at this time, they believe this is just a horrible accident.
"I feel sorry for the lady," Fulmore said. "There wasn't anything she could do about that."
"This is the Boulevard. This is a bad street."
It was just this past Monday night when a pregnant woman, 28-year-old Giselle Moya, was struck by a motorcycle on the Boulevard at Lexington Avenue.
She, and her unborn child, were killed. The motorcyclist who hit her was seriously hurt and hospitalized. There has been no word on charges in that case.
children, accident, philadelphia, traffic
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting 37 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere 23 min ago
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs