1 dead, 1 injured in New Jersey Turnpike crash in Cherry Hill
CHERRY HILL, N.J. - April 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- New Jersey State Police tell Action News that a woman is dead after the car she was riding in slammed into the rear of a tractor-trailer on the New Jersey Turnpike in Cherry Hill.
Police were dispatched shortly before 6:30 a.m. Thursday to a report of a vehicle underneath a truck with two people heavily trapped on the southbound side of the ramp into the Walt Whitman Service Area.
State Police tell Action News that a private Town Car travelling from New York hit an illegally parked tractor-trailer on the rest stop exit ramp.
The female passenger in the back seat of the Town Car was extricated from the car and flown to the hospital by medical helicopter. She was later pronounced dead.
The driver of the Town Car, a friend of the woman who was killed, was injured but is expected to survive.
There is no word at this time if anyone will face charges. Police are continuing to investigate.
cherry hill, new jersey, new jersey turnpike, accident, traffic
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Video: Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash