Overturned tanker spills fuel, shuts down Rt. 896
NEWARK, Del. - June 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police are investigating an accident that shutd own Route 896 in Newark.
The accident happened at 10:30 Sunday morning when a tanker truck overturned on the Southbound I-95 off ramp to Southbound Route 896.
It appears the driver misjudged the ramp when the accident occurred.
The driver, identified as Percy Green, 58, of Willingboro, New Jersey, was able to climb out of the truck on his own and was evaluated on scene by medics but refused further treatment.
According to police, Green appeared to be traveling at an unsafe speed prior to the crash.
The tractor-trailer partially overturned, damaging the diesel fuel tank of the truck. The tanker is transporting non-hazardous latex. Police say there does not appear to have been any release of that material.
About 150 gallons of fuel spilled on to the highway.
Route 896 at Welsh Tract Road along with the Southbound off ramp from I-95 will be shut down for several hours while crews clean up the spill.
Green has been cited for driving at an unsafe speed.
accident, delaware, traffic
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands