Overturned tanker spills fuel, shuts down Rt. 896
NEWARK, Del. - June 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police are investigating an accident that shutd own Route 896 in Newark.
The accident happened at 10:30 Sunday morning when a tanker truck overturned on the Southbound I-95 off ramp to Southbound Route 896.
It appears the driver misjudged the ramp when the accident occurred.
The driver, identified as Percy Green, 58, of Willingboro, New Jersey, was able to climb out of the truck on his own and was evaluated on scene by medics but refused further treatment.
According to police, Green appeared to be traveling at an unsafe speed prior to the crash.
The tractor-trailer partially overturned, damaging the diesel fuel tank of the truck. The tanker is transporting non-hazardous latex. Police say there does not appear to have been any release of that material.
About 150 gallons of fuel spilled on to the highway.
Route 896 at Welsh Tract Road along with the Southbound off ramp from I-95 will be shut down for several hours while crews clean up the spill.
Green has been cited for driving at an unsafe speed.
accident, delaware, traffic
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 49 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover 40 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
49 min ago