Schuylkill Expressway reopens following crash at Gladwyne
CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa. - October 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Schuylkill Expressway has reopened after a crash closed both directions of the highway for most of the morning.
The accident happened around 5:30 a.m. Thursday in the westbound lanes of I-76 near the Conshohocken Curve at the Gladwyne exit.
A car and a tractor-trailer collided, sending the vehicles into the center median.
The vehicle impact with the median scattered concrete debris onto the eastbound lanes of the Expressway.
Westbound traffic was closed for three hours while crews worked to clear the scene. Eastbound traffic was also closed for a time while the debris was cleared from the roadway.
One injury was reported, but it is unknown how seriously that person was hurt.
Meanwhile, the crash meant the morning rush was more of a crawl on I-76 and the surrounding roads.
"We live in Manayunk. It took a half hour to get from Ridge Avenue to here. Normally takes two minutes," said Oliver Assiran.
Some drivers saw the traffic tie-ups on the news and left extra time.
"I called ahead of time and I left early," said Sarah Wolf of Holland, Pa. I'm good."
pennsylvania, montgomery county, schuylkill expressway, accident, traffic
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Witnesses: Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade 55 min ago
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case 39 min ago
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion 24 min ago
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen