Schuylkill Expressway reopens following crash at Gladwyne
CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa. - October 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Schuylkill Expressway has reopened after a crash closed both directions of the highway for most of the morning.
The accident happened around 5:30 a.m. Thursday in the westbound lanes of I-76 near the Conshohocken Curve at the Gladwyne exit.
A car and a tractor-trailer collided, sending the vehicles into the center median.
The vehicle impact with the median scattered concrete debris onto the eastbound lanes of the Expressway.
Westbound traffic was closed for three hours while crews worked to clear the scene. Eastbound traffic was also closed for a time while the debris was cleared from the roadway.
One injury was reported, but it is unknown how seriously that person was hurt.
Meanwhile, the crash meant the morning rush was more of a crawl on I-76 and the surrounding roads.
"We live in Manayunk. It took a half hour to get from Ridge Avenue to here. Normally takes two minutes," said Oliver Assiran.
Some drivers saw the traffic tie-ups on the news and left extra time.
"I called ahead of time and I left early," said Sarah Wolf of Holland, Pa. I'm good."
pennsylvania, montgomery county, schuylkill expressway, accident, traffic
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 48 min ago
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 17 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 10 min ago
- Police ID man killed in shooting that led to standoff 20 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 7 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 6 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 23 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane