SEPTA center designed to help disabled commuters
PHILADELPHIA - April 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- Nick Gomberg is a sophomore at Temple University, an aspiring broadcaster who hopes to use his voice to describe a world his eyes cannot even see. Getting there, he says, is easy.But getting most everywhere else, is not. "I'd have to get someone to come over to my house, guide me to the store or work, and you know, do everything for me," Gomberg told Action News.
For several weeks now, Nick has been a student at SEPTA's brand new Accessible Travel Center. Opened in February in Suburban Station, it houses a near full-sized bus and a simulated subway platform. They're all designed to give disabled commuters the tools to travel on their own.
"The ultimate goal is really to have Nick travel by himself," according to Steve Greenberg, a mobility therapist. "It's really that simple."
Steve Greenberg is a specialist whose been working hand in hand, literally, with Nick; not just in the Travel Center, but out on the street where he's helping Nick use technology to find out where he is and get the confidence to find out where he's going.
"The end result is for me to say I'm standing at the corner of Cumberland and Broad," Greenberg told us when we met up with him, and for "Nick, meet me there."
Nick is very much on his way. He's just one in what Greenberg calls a big and under-served population of people who could go so much further if only they knew how to catch a ride.
So far, officials say the program has been a huge success. Nick Gomberg is a perfect example. If you, or someone you know, could benefit from the Accessible Travel Center here's how you can learn more:
* You can call a CCT customer service representative at (215) 580-7145
The Accessible Travel Center is available for use by professional travel trainers, orientation and mobility instructors and service animal trainers.
SEPTA, pennsylvania, philadelphia, disabilities, traffic, brian taff
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 3 min ago
- Temps Soar 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 6 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 21 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 23 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 13 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
19 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila...
13 min ago