Pa. Turnpike worker killed in crash identified
PLYMOUTH TWP., Pa. - October 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Pa. Turnpike worker was killed and three people were injured when two trucks collided in the eastbound lanes of the Pennsylvania Turnpike at Valley Forge on Monday morning.
The man killed was identified as Michael R. San Felice, 66, of West Norriton, who is survived by two daughters, his wife and grandchildren.
Officials did not release his name until the afternoon because his grandchildren were still in school and wouldn't be notified until the end of the day.
San Felice had worked for the Turnpike for 12 years.
The accident happened around 8:30 a.m. Monday when box truck collided with a Turnpike maintenance vehicle at mile marker 331.6 in Plymouth Township.
Police shut down traffic in both directions to land helicopters for two crash victims. Both of those victims, who were inside the box truck, were flown to the hospital by helicopter.
San Felice died in the crash.
"Montgomery County, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission and our family here in West Norriton Township lost a strong leader and a dear friend," said State Rep. Mike Vereb, a close family friend.
Another Turnpike worker was taken to the hospital where he is said to be doing okay.
The eastbound lanes of the highway were closed for the investigation until Monday afternoon. The lanes finally reopened after 4:00 p.m.
There is no word at this time what caused the accident.
montgomery county, pennsylvania, accident, pennsylvania turnpike, traffic
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show 35 min ago