Pa. Turnpike worker killed in crash identified
PLYMOUTH TWP., Pa. - October 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Pa. Turnpike worker was killed and three people were injured when two trucks collided in the eastbound lanes of the Pennsylvania Turnpike at Valley Forge on Monday morning.
The man killed was identified as Michael R. San Felice, 66, of West Norriton, who is survived by two daughters, his wife and grandchildren.
Officials did not release his name until the afternoon because his grandchildren were still in school and wouldn't be notified until the end of the day.
San Felice had worked for the Turnpike for 12 years.
The accident happened around 8:30 a.m. Monday when box truck collided with a Turnpike maintenance vehicle at mile marker 331.6 in Plymouth Township.
Police shut down traffic in both directions to land helicopters for two crash victims. Both of those victims, who were inside the box truck, were flown to the hospital by helicopter.
San Felice died in the crash.
"Montgomery County, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission and our family here in West Norriton Township lost a strong leader and a dear friend," said State Rep. Mike Vereb, a close family friend.
Another Turnpike worker was taken to the hospital where he is said to be doing okay.
The eastbound lanes of the highway were closed for the investigation until Monday afternoon. The lanes finally reopened after 4:00 p.m.
There is no word at this time what caused the accident.
montgomery county, pennsylvania, accident, pennsylvania turnpike, traffic
- Delaware County mail carrier accused of theft
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co. 5 min ago
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load