Philly art museum gets a new Starr
PHILADELPHIA - November 17, 2010 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Museum of Art has a new work: The latest restaurant by Stephen Starr.
Where the simply-named Museum Restaurant used to sit, there is now Granite Hill, Stephen Starr's newest creation.
" I think it's the best piece of real estate in the city," says Phillipe Trosch, Executive Chef of Granite Hill.
Trousch has created a menu he calls French bistro with a modern twist.
"What we try to build is a great destination for art and for food at the same time. We want to be both, enjoy both together."
Dishes include brunch favorites like eggs benedict and jumbo lump crab cakes with shaved vegetable salad.
"We just want to balance the crispness of the salad with the softness of the crab so you get some fresh vegetables with it too," Trousch said.
There's also the Pistoletto salad. Made with frisée, golden beets and pecans, it's named for the Museum's current exhibit by Michelangelo Pistoletto.
Every time a new exhibit is going to open at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, there will be a new dish credited to that exhibit.
Part restaurant, part gallery; the walls of Granite Hill are covered with artworks that are available for sale in the museum's gift shop. The goal is sophisticated yet accessible dining. That's why you'll also find a hamburger and le Haute Dog on the menu. "The primary focus is really having a wonderful place for people to dine as part of their visit . There's so much to see," said Simon Powles, the president of Starr Restaurants Catering Group. "The only thing stopping you is probably time and some hunger pains."
To top it off, there's a selection of desserts that includes S'mores Pot De Créme with homemade marshmallows and graham crackers for dipping.
Granite Hill is open for lunch every day but Monday and also serves Friday night dinner and Sunday brunch.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, food, philadelphia museum of art, stephen starr, fyi philly, adam joseph
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos