Shelter Me: Senior Dog Haven and Hospice
WILMINGTON, Del. - July 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- This past Saturday, there was much to celebrate for the Senior Dog Haven and Hospice rescue group.
"Today is actually the one year anniversary that we were incorporated and we're turning it into a huge birthday party with a great adoption event," Dana Rubenstein told Action News.
The group was founded in Delaware after realizing the strong need to rescue the seniors.
"The Senior Dogs are the ones that end up, usually, unfortunately, at the shelters and are the least adoptable," she added. "They have an extra-special appreciation when they are rescued. They've lived such a long time and they know what it means to finally be in a loved home."
The group is also known for their annual doggie wedding fundraising event, which has included an actual pastor to officiated at the ceremony, and a big reception. All the happy seniors are still available and ready to be a part of a loving family.
There was still a lot of excitement at the end of the day when a dog named Heidi went home with her forever family.
" We're very, very lucky today. We decided this week that Heidi is gonna be the dog for us," said Michelle Harris and Nick Harris. "She's going to be joining our family today!"
If you would like to adopt any of the dogs that you've seen, you can go to the Senior Dog Haven and Hospice website. If you want to add your rescue group or vote for your favorite, just go to the Shelter Me section of the Action News' Facebook page. We'll feature the top vote getter next Saturday morning on Action News.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing 32 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts 40 min ago
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still...
32 min ago