Peace College to admit men, change name
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Peace College announced Thursday that it will change its name and admit men to its day, undergraduate courses for the first time in its 154-year history.
The school will become William Peace University and will begin admitting men in the fall of 2012.
"Becoming William Peace University reflects our growth as an institution and will deepen and broaden our ability to help our students succeed," said Beth Cherry, Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees in a statement.
Peace currently admits men to the William Peace School of Professional Studies, and its program for students pursuing degrees through evening and online courses.
Peace was founded in 1857 as Peace Institute, offering education for girls and women from kindergarten to college.
It later became a two-year college offering associate's degrees before becoming a four-year school in the early 1990s.
wake county, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday 6 min ago
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Panthers, Saints seek control of NFC South race
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help