Official arraignment in Shaniya Davis killing
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- Two suspects accused in connection with the murder of 5-year-old Shaniya Davis appeared before a judge Thursday for an official arraignment.
Antoinette Davis and McNeill both pleaded not guilty Thursday. Neither said anything during the hearing.
In November 2009, Davis reported her daughter missing. She told police someone took Shaniya out of her home. Days later, the child's body was found in a Lee County ditch.
Davis has been charged with human trafficking, felony child abuse, prostitution and filing a false police report. Investigators said she gave Shaniya to Mario McNeill to settle a drug debt.
A security camera captured McNeill with the little girl in his arms waiting for an elevator inside a motel in Sanford. He allegedly assaulted and choked Shaniya to death before dumping her body.
McNeill faces charges of kidnapping, rape and first-degree murder.
While McNeill could face the death penalty, Davis will not.
A hearing is tentatively scheduled for April to decide on when their cases will go to trial.
cumberland county, shaniya davis, local/state, gilbert baez
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day 17 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Defense wraps after Abaroa's mom's testimony 34 min ago
- How safe are North Caroilna bridges? 43 min ago
- Family continues to experience miracles
- Admitting gay boy scouts could have repercussions
- NY's Main Beach tops annual survey of best beaches
- Fayetteville man indicted on sex charges with minors
- Police investigate Durham bank robbery
- Volunteers place flags for Memorial Day
- 'Horrified' trucker watches I-5 bridge collapse
- Super PAC created for possible Tillis Senate bid
- Armed Forces Salute: Laura Kerns
17 min ago
- Travelers hit the road for Memorial Day...
19 min ago
- Defense wraps case after Abaroa's mother's...
24 min ago