Article calls out local colleges as not worth the money
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Three local colleges have found themselves on a list no school wants any part of. A study that says Fayetteville State University, Meredith College, and Shaw University aren't worth the money.
"I pretty much try to get in as many hours and I can," said Shaw University freshman Jewel Carrington.
Carrington is putting herself through school, but according to a new list, the place she picked is not a smart investment.
The study by salary data provider "Payscale" was published in "Business Insider."
"It's definitely scary thinking about after college, paying back thousands and thousands of dollars," said Carrington.
The list compares the average cost of education to predicted income after graduation over 30 years.
"I think they're completely off," said Meredith senior Mary Royal.
The President of Meredith College, Jo Allen, called the findings suspect and sketchy, saying the school has more than made the grade on other lists and contradicts these findings.
"We actually laugh and say we'd like to do a ranking of the rankings," said Allen.
Meredith, for example, was named a "Best Value" in the South by U.S. News and World Report. The Princeton Review chose the school as one of best colleges in the southeast as well.
"We've got some of the highest alumni satisfaction rankings I've ever heard of," said Allen. "Ninety-eight percent of Meredith's alumni report that they would recommend Meredith to somebody else. Ninety-six percent say they would enroll here again."
Shaw says its school has one of the lowest tuition rates of any private university in North Carolina.
A spokesperson for Fayetteville State says they're in the process of conducting research into the findings.
wake county, cumberland county, local/state, elaina athans
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry 7 min ago
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation 37 min ago
- American University campus lockdown lifted 29 min ago
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 49 min ago
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman 48 min ago
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- NC lawmaker charged in state tax case resigns
- Ex-NC State coach pleads guilty to tax charges
- Victim in Durham apartment shooting dies
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help