Wake County Animal Shelter at capacity
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A Lillington couple now has a new member of their family. They went to the Wake County Animal Shelter and picked a cat they felt was a good fit.
The couple only made the adoption after learning the shelter was at its capacity and that some animals are being euthanized.
New pet owner Vanessa Cash said, "I wanted to come save one before something horrible happened."
Saturday morning shelter employees put down more than a dozen animals to make space.
In one week, 270 pets were surrendered. There is a sign at the door warning the facility is at full and there's an extremely high risk the animal will be laid down.
Dr Federico, director of the Wake Animal Shelter said, "Some people are like ok, I can't. Take them anyway. I don't get that and they're ok with that and leave them."
The shelter is asking people to become a foster or make an adoption, if they can.
wake county, local/state, elaina athans
- Target investigating credit card breach 1 min ago
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Man shot, collapses at gas station 29 min ago
- Police issue warning on eve of Huerta vigil
- Dog helps doctors monitor child during operation
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Durham double murder
- Texas upends No. 14 North Carolina 86-83
- NC State beats Vols 65-58 for sixth straight win
- White House task force urges limit on NSA snooping
- Ferry that ran aground on NC coast still stuck
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help