Tolls to increase on parts of Triangle Expressway
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Get ready to pay higher tolls if you drive on parts of the Triangle Expressway.
The higher prices will take effect on Aug. 2 when the new section of the expressway opens. That's also when a section of the expressway that's currently free (from Interstate 40 to Highway 55) will begin tolling.
That will cost drivers who have a transponder 52 cents each way. It will cost 80 cents each way for those drivers who get billed by mail.
Turnpike Authority officials explained the increase to ABC11.
"Tolls are going up because we're expanding the toll road by six-and-a-half to 7 miles," said Barry Mickle with the NC Turnpike Authority. "It benefits the public by a reliable trip."
Transponders cost $20 and attach to your car.
transportation, 540 triangle expressway, i540, abc11 investigates
- Enloe High student charged in gun store break-ins 9 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay 13 min ago
- Bear struck and killed on I-40 near Winston-Salem
- Deputies find moonshine, still in Thomasville home
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Duke gets funds to develop diverse scientists
- US 321 to remain open during Memorial Day weekend
- NBC's Brian Williams addresses Elon Class of '13
- Ohio kidnap case hero not endorsing free burgers
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing