Tolls to increase on parts of Triangle Expressway
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Get ready to pay higher tolls if you drive on parts of the Triangle Expressway.
The higher prices will take effect on Aug. 2 when the new section of the expressway opens. That's also when a section of the expressway that's currently free (from Interstate 40 to Highway 55) will begin tolling.
That will cost drivers who have a transponder 52 cents each way. It will cost 80 cents each way for those drivers who get billed by mail.
Turnpike Authority officials explained the increase to ABC11.
"Tolls are going up because we're expanding the toll road by six-and-a-half to 7 miles," said Barry Mickle with the NC Turnpike Authority. "It benefits the public by a reliable trip."
Transponders cost $20 and attach to your car.
transportation, 540 triangle expressway, i540, abc11 investigates
- Funeral held for North Hills murder victim
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- North Carolina Senate rolls out budget plan
- Photos: Raleigh's Artsplosure
- 4 year old injured in Durham hit-and-run
- Small Fla. city wonders who won Powerball jackpot
- Boston Marathon bombing victim returns home to NC
- Body of missing Ohio man pulled from NC waters
- NC teacher says student hit her during field trip
- Charlotte remembers 1963 desegregation 'eat-in'
- Swift, Bieber, more ready for Billboard Awards
- OJ Simpson lawyers say he is closer to freedom
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos