Tolls to increase on parts of Triangle Expressway
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Get ready to pay higher tolls if you drive on parts of the Triangle Expressway.
The higher prices will take effect on Aug. 2 when the new section of the expressway opens. That's also when a section of the expressway that's currently free (from Interstate 40 to Highway 55) will begin tolling.
That will cost drivers who have a transponder 52 cents each way. It will cost 80 cents each way for those drivers who get billed by mail.
Turnpike Authority officials explained the increase to ABC11.
"Tolls are going up because we're expanding the toll road by six-and-a-half to 7 miles," said Barry Mickle with the NC Turnpike Authority. "It benefits the public by a reliable trip."
Transponders cost $20 and attach to your car.
transportation, 540 triangle expressway, i540, abc11 investigates
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market 32 min ago
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 14 min ago
- Gas prices on the rise; still lower than last Easter
- Nurseries, homeowners take steps to protect plants
- Troubleshooter investigates Papa John's dough
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works 47 min ago
- Portland plans reservoir flush after teen cited 47 min ago
- 2 more charged in Wake Forest kidnapping
- Girl's memorial being held at basketball arena
- Sketch of Cary rape suspect released
- McCrory proposes new coal ash regulation