Commission rules for man stopped by trooper
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The State Highway Patrol could be forced to pay thousands of dollars for a traffic stop involving a man who rushed his sick wife to the hospital.
The man filed a civil lawsuit against the Highway Patrol through the state's Industrial Commission. In a ruling the commission handed down last month, the state was ordered to pay more than $16,000.
Dick Bernhardt admitted he was speeding and that he drove through several red lights on June 17, 2007. He was taking his cancer-stricken wife to Craven Regional Medical Center after she became sick in the middle of the night.
Trooper Matthew Cape spotted Bernhardt and followed him to the hospital where things quickly escalated as the trooper arrested Bernhardt. Cape said Bernhardt assaulted him.
Bernhardt ended up with a dislocated elbow. He felt the trooper's actions were unreasonable. So did commissioners who ruled in Bernhardt's favor.
"I hope it makes It causes a reaction in the Highway Patrol to say, 'Hey maybe we need to retrain these fells or find therapy for officers,'" said Bernhardt.
Bernhardt admitted that he had had a few drinks before going to bed that night. He was charged with DWI and assault but those charges were eventually dismissed.
Attorneys for the state are reviewing the commission's ruling. They have 30 days to decide whether to appeal.
abc11 investigates, alina machado
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn 7 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63 22 min ago
- NCCU new head football coach named 9 min ago
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- NCCU new head football coach named
8 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help