Commission rules for man stopped by trooper
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The State Highway Patrol could be forced to pay thousands of dollars for a traffic stop involving a man who rushed his sick wife to the hospital.
The man filed a civil lawsuit against the Highway Patrol through the state's Industrial Commission. In a ruling the commission handed down last month, the state was ordered to pay more than $16,000.
Dick Bernhardt admitted he was speeding and that he drove through several red lights on June 17, 2007. He was taking his cancer-stricken wife to Craven Regional Medical Center after she became sick in the middle of the night.
Trooper Matthew Cape spotted Bernhardt and followed him to the hospital where things quickly escalated as the trooper arrested Bernhardt. Cape said Bernhardt assaulted him.
Bernhardt ended up with a dislocated elbow. He felt the trooper's actions were unreasonable. So did commissioners who ruled in Bernhardt's favor.
"I hope it makes It causes a reaction in the Highway Patrol to say, 'Hey maybe we need to retrain these fells or find therapy for officers,'" said Bernhardt.
Bernhardt admitted that he had had a few drinks before going to bed that night. He was charged with DWI and assault but those charges were eventually dismissed.
Attorneys for the state are reviewing the commission's ruling. They have 30 days to decide whether to appeal.
abc11 investigates, alina machado
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina 54 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home 47 min ago
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- Orange County among hardest hit by ice storm
51 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
55 min ago
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in Fayetteville...
48 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help