Alamance Co. woman will not be deported
GREENSBORO, N.C. (WTVD) -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has agreed not deport Lorena Yanez-Mata to Mexico.
The case against 26-year-old Yanez-Mata started when she walked into the Time Warner Cable office in Burlington in July to sign up for cable service.
The documents she turned in to Time Warner allegedly showed that she was undocumented.
Time Warner Cable said an off-duty officer, who was working security for the company, got the documents and then gave them to police.
A lawyer representing Yanez-Mata said in a statement that Yanez-Mata was advised by a Time Warner Cable customer service representative not to use her valid Individual Taxpayer Identification Number but rather an invalid Social Security number.
"We are grateful to both the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Alamance County District Attorney's Office for not prosecuting this case, and preventing another grave injustice from occurring in Alamance County," said attorney Jeremy McKinney. "The experiences of good people like Lorena underscore the continuing need to address the plight of the undocumented population in North Carolina. We should all continue to press for humane solutions to fix our broken immigration system."
Yanez-Mata has a six-year-old daughter.
alamance county, abc11 investigates
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help