20 year mystery solved
WEAVERVILLE (WTVD) -- A routine traffic stop has solved the mystery of man believed to be dead for 20 years.
Police in Weaverville, N.C. arrested Bennie Wint after he gave them a fake name. He was also charged with not having a license.
Officers initially stopped him for a malfunctioning light on his car. Wint later confessed to his real name.
Police then discovered Wint faked his own death in 1989.
The woman who was is fiancé at the time, said he disappeared while swimming at Daytona Beach, leaving her and their daughter behind.
Police say Wint told them he was trying to hide from a South Carolina drug ring.
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Brees sharp, Saints beat Panthers 31-13
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help