Suspect takes 'bait,' steals lawnmower
CUMBERLAND COUNTY (WTVD) -- Cumberland County Sheriff's detectives arrested a man they say attempted to steal a lawn mower that was being used as bait.
Detectives arrested 40-year-old Ronnie Lynn Johnson of Linden Friday morning after they say he attempted to steal a Craftsman lawn mower and a trailer that was carrying it.
Deputies placed the "Bait Mower" in an undisclosed area after the sheriff's office received numerous complaints about thefts.
The mower is part of the "Bait Car" inventory rigged with a GPS device that alerts detectives when the bait is in motion. Investigators tracked the mover and trailer to Johnson's front yard.
Johnson is charged with felony larceny and felony possession of stolen goods. He was released from the Cumberland County Detention Center on a $1,000 bond. Johnson is scheduled to make a first court appearance later this afternoon.
cumberland county, wacky
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help