It's Your Money
Your Money: Discount Vacations
How about booking a Caribbean cruise for $80 a day? How about free nights at a high end hotel?
If the economy made you put off your summer vacation, now may be the time to act.
You're not alone if you're thinking about taking a trip just before the end of summer.
"Two-thousand nine has certainly been challenging for all of us," said Grayce Walters, Maupin travel. "We're seeing a tremendous amount of last minute travel."
Walters says the travel industry's pain may be your gain.
"We're seeing some of the best rates ever in the hotel and cruise business this year," she added.
Caribbean cruises from as low as $80 a day. Even the Alaska cruises are at a deep discount.
Walters recently book an Alaskan cruise for $500 a person -- down from $1300.
Timing is also key to saving money. Off-peak season rates started early and last until December 15. Then high prices will kick in.
Whether you fly or drive, Walters says hotel rates, depending upon the dates you stay, are 35 to 60 percent cheaper now. Some companies are even throwing in perks!
"Your better hotels -- Ritz Carlton brand, other high end brands and resorts -- giving nights free, full breakfasts, spa features reduced, kids stay free," Walters explained.
For fun, Walters checked to see what it cost me to fly to Miami and stay in perhaps the hottest hotel on South Beach. The nonstop flight from RDU is $259 roundtrip and to stay at the newly renovated Fontainebleau Resort and Spa, it would cost less than $200 a night. That's down from the usual rate that can go up to $800 a night.
Walters says there are goodies out there, you just have to look for them.
it's your money, barbara gibbs
- Teacher resignations up significantly in Wake Co. 8 min ago
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Confused, chaotic scene described on sinking ferry 38 min ago
- Persons of interest identified in Fayetteville shooting 31 min ago
- Pres. Obama shows skepticism on Russia in Ukraine 53 min ago
- DOT worker charged in officer's death
- Cooper, other lawyers resolve NC defamation case 53 min ago
- Police trying to identify Cary rape suspect 52 min ago
- Police: Antiques store used to sell meth
- Hatchell: Star freshman DeShields leaving UNC 38 min ago
- Jabari Parker leaving Duke
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
- Teacher resignations up significantly in...
7 min ago
- I-Team: Neighborhood lobbies for speed humps
48 min ago