It's Your Money
Your Money: Identity Theft
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Concerned about identity theft? You should be. It's a crime that's getting worse, according to North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper.
That’s why Cooper wants all North Carolinians to know they have a new way to protect themselves: a free security freeze.
It’s a new state law passed just this month, that Cooper says a lot of people still don’t know about.
“A security freeze is one of the best things you can do to protect yourself from identity theft,” Cooper said.
It’s like a padlock on your personal information, and he’s urging people to take advantage of it.
“You can do it free online,” Cooper explained. “And it will prevent a criminal from going out and getting a credit card or loan in your name. And when you yourself want to take out a loan or get a credit card, you can temporarily lift the freeze then put it back on again.”
Before the law, only victims of identity theft could get a security freeze, which Cooper says is like giving a bulletproof vest to someone after they’ve been shot.
All you do is go to www.ncdoj.gov and alert all three major credit reporting companies: Transunion, Experian, and Equifax
If you do not have access to a computer you can also get a freeze by phone or mail, but it will cost you three dollars.
it's your money, barbara gibbs
- Widow's wedding bands stolen in Hope Mills 38 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Manhunt for suspects in deadly luxury mall carjacking
- Police seek help solving double murder
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital 8 min ago
- Multiple county chase ends in Durham 22 min ago
- Sheriff: School gunman planned to attack 5 spots
- Naked man spotted near Raleigh school
- Private ferry runs aground, injures 14
- Durham murder victim identified
- Blind man, guide dog safe after subway track fall
- Fair ride operator, owner formally indicted
- DOT looking at all 540 project paths
- NC photographer helps shelter dogs find a home
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help