Estefans open Miami home to Obama, stirring debate
MIAMI (WTVD) -- Singer Gloria Estefan is getting both criticism and praise in Miami's Cuban-American community for hosting President Barack Obama for a Democratic fundraiser.
Thursday night's event at her Miami Beach home is being blasted by some conservatives in the traditionally Republican community. They dismiss her as a traitor to the cause of overthrowing the island's communist government.
But other Cuban-Americans praise her for grabbing Obama's ear on an issue that remains at the forefront of South Florida politics, five decades after the 1959 revolution.
The fundraiser will benefit the Democratic National Committee. Some observers say the event is emblematic of a Cuban-American community where the younger generation is trending Democratic.
- Widow's wedding bands stolen in Hope Mills
- Manhunt for suspects in deadly luxury mall carjacking
- Crawleigh's I-440 lane closures got off to a rough start
- Police seek help solving double murder
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Multiple county chase ends in Durham
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Sheriff: School gunman planned to attack 5 spots
- Naked man spotted near Raleigh school
- Private ferry runs aground, injures 14
- Durham murder victim identified
- Blind man, guide dog safe after subway track fall
- Fair ride operator, owner formally indicted
- DOT looking at all 540 project paths
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help